Thursday, November 12, 2009

Movie Review- Stark Trek


I'm not a trekkie, never have been, but i may turn into one if the sequels to this film are as awesome as this one. This is how an action/sci-fi movie is supposed to be made. It's supposed to have awesome special effects and great acting. All of this genre should take notice and duplicate. At least acting-wise.

A kudos are in order for Abrams and company. It's not easy to please the trekkie-nerd following, well impossible, plus satisfy people like myself who were never into past "Treks" but enjoy movies like "G.I. Joe" and "Transformers".

PLOT:
After the planet Vulcan is destroyed, James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) and Spock (Zachary Quinto) must join forces to intercept evil Romulan Captain Nero (Eric Bana) who is on his way to destroy Earth.

PROS:
I've said it in my earlier posts and I'll say it again, there is a bad trend developing amongst these sci-fi/action flicks. All aesthetics and poor acting. What "Transformers 2" lacked in storyline and "G.I. Joe" lacked in acting is made up for in "Star Trek".

I was impressed by the acting, but enough about that. I think the storyline was well done, once understood. Alot of trekkies have complained about the presence of the Leonard Nimoy-Spock and the Zachary Quinto-spock in the same film and no William Shatner. Well Shatner would've thrown things array and with his success as T.J. Hooker, Denny Crane, and Priceline, he may have been a distraction.

I thought the flow of the movie was even, in a good way. There were no intense cheesy close-ups, and regardless of the unrealistic story the emotions are realistic and fit the moment.

I loved the humor. There were alot of funny moments and dialogue that had me rolling. Many of the characters are deadpan, robotic and speak using proper, intelligent speech. That works in their favor, especially with their conversations.

CONS:
The only real problem is that for a good while the plot was confusing. The terminology is kind of hard to follow at first, until Lenard Nimoy-spock breaks things down. But once that happens its all good from there.

Oh wait...and I may not be a big fan, but I thought James T. Kirk was a badass, he got his butt kicked this whole film, even by spock. He may be able to lead, point a gun, and later sell products on television, but he can't fight.

Recommendation:
Buy it.

Main Cast:
Chris Pine ("Smokin' Aces", "Just My Luck")
Zachary Quinto (TVs "Heroes")
Eric Bana ("Munic", "Troy")
Leonard Nimoy (TVs "Star Trek", "Land of the Lost")
Bruce Greenwood ("Capote", "National Treasure: Book of Secrets")
Clifton Collins Jr. ("Dirty", "Crank 2: High Voltage")
Karl Urban ("Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King", "The Bourne Supremacy")
Zoe Saldana ("Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl", "The Terminal")
Simon Pegg ("Hot Fuzz", "Run Fatboy Run")
John Cho ("American Pie", "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle")
Tyler Perry ("Madea Goes to Jail", "Why Did I Get Married")
Winona Ryder ("Edward Scissorhands", "Mr. Deeds")
Rachel Nichols ("Charlie Wilson's War", "G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra")

Similar Titles:
G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek-series

Next Review:
My Sister's Keeper - Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment